Foodborne Illness

A resource for foodborne illness.

If my child or I have diarrhea, should I see a doctor?

You should see a health care provider if your diarrhea lasts more than a day or two, if you have severe abdominal pain, or if you have a fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, if you have blood in your stool or if your stool appears black and tarry, or if you have signs of dehydration. Signs of dehydration include thirst, infrequent or no urination, dry skin, high fever, listlessness, or irritability.

If your child has diarrhea, do not hesitate to call your health care provider for advice. If the child shows no improvement within 24 hours, has stools containing blood or pus, or has a temperature above 101.4 degrees Fahrenheit, contact your health care provider immediately. Because a child can die from dehydration within a few days, contact your health care provider at once if you suspect your child is dehydrated.

Connect with Marler Clark


1012 First Avenue
Fifth Floor
Seattle, WA 98104


M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Pacific

Call toll free:

1 (800) 884-9840

If you have questions about foodborne illness, your rights or the legal process, we’d be happy to answer them for you.